Pregnant employees as well as those on maternity leave have certain rights under the law, the key ones are –
- Time off for antenatal appointments.
- Health and safety protection while pregnant and breastfeeding.
- Up to 52 weeks’ maternity leave, regardless of length of service.
- Statutory maternity pay (SMP) for up to 39 weeks
- The right to return to the same job.
- Priority for alternative employment in redundancy cases.
- The right to request flexible working conditions on return to work.
- Protection from dismissal, detriment or discrimination by reason of pregnancy or maternity leave.
- Agency workers will qualify for time off for antenatal appointments (after 12 weeks), and from discrimination, and SMP. Other non-employees will also qualify for protection from discrimination provided they fall within the wider definition of employment in the Equality Act 2010.
If you feel you have been treated badly because of your pregnancy and are maternity leave do get in touch and we can advise you on your options.