When making an award for injury to feelings in discrimination and whistleblowing cases, the Employment Tribunal uses the Vento Bands. These are usually increased every year. For this year and for claims which are issued on or after 6 April 2022 the new bands will be:
- A Lower Band of between £990 to £9,900 – this range is used for the less serious cases
- A Middle Band of between £9,900 to £29,600 for cases which do not merit an award in the higher band
- An upper band of £29,600 to £49,300 for the most serious cases, with the most exceptional cases capable of exceeding £49,300.
These figures can appear high but the reality is that often a lot less is awarded.
The latest figures that we have of Employment Tribunal awards generally are from 2019–2020 when :
- the average award for disability discrimination was £27,043, while the median was only £13,000.
- the average award for age discrimination was £38,794, while the median was only £11,791.
- the average award for race discrimination was under £10,000 and the median being just over £8,000.
In that year, rather surprisingly, there were no successful religious discrimination claims.